The electric trolley car came

to Brimfield in 1907 brought

there by the New Haven

Railroad interests led by

Charles S. Mellen, the

railroad’s president. It was no

longer necessary to travel by

the earlier slow cumbersome

methods when the trolley car,

propelled by electricity, could

take passengers on a smooth

road of steel rail in all kinds of

weather. These trolley lines

were often referred to as

street railways or car lines.